Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Daily Rant: Pardon This Interruption

Inauguration Day, 2009. Possibly the most historical event since 9/11. Coverage on every major network... ABC, CBS, WVIA, MSNBC, NBC, FOX... hell I even think Hannah Montana took a break for a few hours. Still, I am a die-hard fan of CNN Headline News. Robin Meade is like, my all time idol, plus I enjoy the rest of the crew. I was excited that Robin was doing the coverage and so decided to tune in to CNN HLN for my dose of coverage. All morning they talked, showed the crowds on the national mall, showed various past presidents, other dignitaries. I learned a lot I must say. Then came the moment the world was waiting for, the swearing in of the 44th president of the United States of America and his subsequent speech. It started out as moving but as the clock struck 12:23pm in the 97.9X studio, here comes (dun. dun, dun) Comcast Newsmakers... blocking out the speech and going on about some local crap that no one cares about. Really, every morning I get annoyed by this needless fodder and now, in the middle of the first speech Barack Obama makes as president, I'm searching for my TV remote? You would think that no single event, or person, was more of a news maker today of all days than the President addressing the nation. You'd think, that someone in the control room at Comcast would say eff this, and keep rolling with the speech. No... not the case. So, I finished the broadcast on MSNBC. In this day and age where there are so many outlets for the media and such a dog fight for ratings, you'd think that this would be a no-brainer. Ha! Comcast really dropped the ball on this one and I'm sure it will reflect in their ratings as I'm sure thousands or possibly millions of remotes clicked nearly simultaneously away from their station.

1 comment: