Thursday, May 17, 2012

Manson + Depp

Earlier this month, Marilyn Manson released his eighth studio album, Born Villain, which includes a cover of Carly Simon's 1972 hit “You're So Vain,” featuring guest Johnny Depp on guitar and drums. In the latest issue of Rolling Stone, Manson reveals that adding the cover track to the album was a last-minute decision. “Johnny called me and asked if I wanted to record a song, so I went to his studio and we started playing the blues,” explains Manson. “My record was already finished, but we both thought it would be ironic to put ‘You’re So Vain’ on the album.” Manson added that cover track fit in with the other songs on Born Villain because he wanted to explore new creative avenues while making the album. “This record is more like jazz or punk rock or dada,” notes the singer. “I wanted to take what I knew how to do and do it in a way that makes people confused. You can’t be shocking, you can only create chaos -– and confusion is the best form of communication.”

No comments:

Post a Comment