Monday, April 9, 2012

Brent smith Says: "BULLY Condones Survival, Not Violence


For the last few weeks, Shinedown has ruled the #1 spot on the Active Rock charts with their single “Bully,” from the band's recently-released album, Amaryllis. In an interview with Rolling Stone, frontman Brent Smith says that he wants to be sure that people understand that “the song is not condoning violence. What it is condoning is survival. I don't think that anyone should ever have their self-respect or their dignity taken from them."

Smith explains that "Bully" is “about not feeling like you can't stand up for yourself and take back your self-respect if you feel as if someone is belittling you or trying to push you around.”

The singer recalled a time in his own life when he fought against bullies. "When I was 10 years old, my dad took me to the garage and put a pair of boxing gloves on me and said, 'I don't ever want it to come to this, but you need to learn how to fight,'" reveals Smith. "And I got my butt kicked sometimes, but I always stood up for myself. By nature I've just never backed down from what I believed in, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone push me around. It's the same thing with my family, too. I wouldn't let someone come into my house and mess with my girlfriend or my son."

No comments:

Post a Comment